The short answer to the question “What does ‘uncontested divorce’ mean?” is that a husband and wife agree that they no longer want to be married to each other and agree on exactly how they wanted to conclude their marriage before they file any documents with the Court asking it to dissolve their marriage.
Sound simple? Well, that’s because it is. It can be a very easy way to get divorced. Uncontested divorce is by far the easiest and cheapest way to get divorced in Missouri.
Here is what needs to be decided between the divorcing spouses:
- That the marriage is irretrievably broken.
- How to divide the marital property including personal property, household goods, real property, retirement plans etc.
- Whether one or both parents will make major decisions on behalf of any children.
- A parenting schedule that lays out when each parent has custody of the children.
- If one parent will need to pay child support to the other, the amount and method of payment. (To learn how child support is calculated in Missouri, click here).
- If one spouse needs Maintenance (Alimony) and for how long.
For most couples with simple assets and no children this should be easy to negotiate if both spouses are interested in saving time and money in the divorce process.
Uncontested divorce is also a really good option for couples with children and simple assets who are willing to work together to make a parenting plan.